Happy new year to you! And here are 5 indicators that 2012 will be a great year for the IT-to-BT move as well:
- Trend lines: Increasing interest in process centric organizations and Business Process Management point to business technology (BT) as the approach for technology initiatives.
- British Airways and other cases available: Companies are already on the path to BT. Check resources by Forrester Research.
- Wide interest in BT: In my IT-to-BT seminars, I have seen interest from a wide variety of audience groups: Nasscom.org's IT events, TiE.org's innovation events, engineering colleges, B-schools, and IT companies. CIO and business process communities in the US have attended Forrester's BT conferences and webinars.
- BT governance frameworks now available: Forrester, for example, has a framework for BT governance (the new equivalent of IT governance).
- BT software method now available: Teams can now "businessify" their software methodology so they can deliver business outcomes rather than just technology ... feel free to ask me how.
What benefits should we expect? Firstly, enterprises can get their BT dollar to produce desired business outcomes. Secondly, for teams, business software development can become creative work. Thirdly, providers can use this opportunity to differentiate themselves and impress their customer organizations with new value.
Let me know your thoughts on how we could together take this forward.